Thursday, February 10, 2011

An atheist’s profession of faith

An atheist’s profession of faith


Someone once asked what I did believe in if I did not believe in god.  This was my response.

I believe in freedom. I believe that choice is the backbone of freedom. As choice expands, so does freedom; as choice contracts, so does freedom. I believe the freedoms granted to Americans in the Constitution are awesome.



I believe in liberty, justice and equality for all. I believe these belong to everyone regardless of race, creed, color, national origin or sexual orientation. I believe that denying persons rights and liberties based on any of these is a slap in the face of liberty.



I believe adults should be able to make decisions about what does and does not go into their own bodies. I believe adults should be able to decide who they will and will not have for sexual partners. I believe laws governing what adults consume and the reasons they chose to have sex are wrong.



I believe consenting adults should be able to marry other consenting adults.



I believe love, not blood, makes a family.



I believe my family is the source of my joy, happiness and fulfillment.



I believe in fidelity.



I believe children have rights, and parents should enforce and protect those rights. I believe parents who do not do this should not be parents. I believe in coerced sterilization for such failed parents.



I believe people have the right to live as they see fit, so long as they harm none.



I believe people have the right to die as they see fit, so long as they harm none.



I believe it is the prerogative and duty of youth to carefully analyze and evaluate the institutions of the elderly.



I believe in honesty.



I believe “animal rights” is an oxymoron.



I believe the wisdom I have today will not be sufficient to solve tomorrow’s problems. If I am to meet the challenges of tomorrow, I must grow and expand my wisdom, or watch it stagnate and fail.



I believe I could be wrong.



I believe I may be right.



I believe I earn every dollar I make.



I believe the difference between love, lust and infatuation is hindsight.



I believe in education. I believe in comprehensive sex education for teens, and age-appropriate health education for younger children. I believe abstinence is cruel, dangerous, and unhealthy.



I believe science should be taught in the science class; history should be taught in the history class, etc. I believe much can be learned from studying the world’s religions in a religion class, but NOT the science class.



I believe yesterday offers experience, tomorrow offers hope, and today is all that is.



I believe in compassion.



I believe in kindness.



I believe in forgiveness.



I believe it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission.



I believe the meaning of life can be found in a combination of mastication, meditation, and masturbation.



I believe it is the duty and responsibility of each individual to create, follow and modify a personal code of ethics. I believe the goal of this code should be to become more moral today than you were yesterday. I believe this can only happen when we are honest with each other and ourselves in regards to our successes and our failures.



I believe in you.



I believe in me.



I believe there is no god; no omniscient, omnipotent being that watches us. I believe waiting and praying for miracles is a waste of time. I believe if we dislike what we see in the world, it is our charge to make change happen.



I believe god isn’t here; we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment